Monday 3 September 2012

GUTGAA Meet and Greet!

A Bit About Me:

When it comes to writing, I have a bit of a multiple personality disorder. I love, love, love children’s books, from charming picture books, to quirky and giggle-inducing middle grade novels, to gripping dystopian/post apocalyptic young adult novels. But I love poignant, heart-tugging women’s fiction, laugh-out-loud funny chick-lit, and romantic comedy, too. I also love beautifully wrought literary fiction and captivating historicals. Little wonder I write across so many genres!

My short stories have appeared in literary magazines, both in print and online, several of which are now available for Kindle and Kobo, including my first collection, Learning to Fly. Look for my chick-lit/romantic comedy novelette, How to Cook Up a Disaster—the first in my DIY Dating series—available September 2012.
 
Currently, I'm seeking representation for my homorous middle grade novel, The Rabbit Ate My Homework, and busily writing two more middle grade novels, Evil Teddy Bears Are Plotting to Take Over the World and If Wishes Were Ponies.

When I'm not writing, you might find me refurbishing old furniture rescued from thrift stores and garage sales, puttering in the garden despite the fact neither of my thumbs are the greenest, clipping coupons, carving down the local mountains on my snowboard, or shouting at the TV during Hockey Night in Canada. My favourite season is autumn, I prefer tea to coffee, and wish every morning began at ten a.m.

Born on Vancouver Island, I've had a life-long love affair with its rugged coasts and windswept beaches. Many of my stories are set there. I hope to return to ‘the Island’ one day, but for now, even though I hate the rain, I live just outside Vancouver, British Columbia, with my husband, our two sons, and one very spoiled house rabbit.
 

Questions:

-Where do you write? At my desk (a converted pine armoire) in the nook off my kitchen. Although, at times I've been known to steal the laptop away to my bedroom in the evening for a little peace and quiet time with my characters and storylines.

-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see? The back door with a view of my back yard and my very spoiled house rabbit playing in his pen (AKA mowing the lawn).
 
 
Gus in his play pen in the back yard (in case you're wondering about the white sheet: it's a sun shade)
 
-Favorite time to write? When the words are spilling out of my fingers faster than I can type them out. 
 
-Drink of choice while writing? In the morning, I prefer English Breakfast tea. In the evening, I prefer a tasty Crantini.
 
-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence? I prefer silence. That way can I can hear the voices in my head better. But I've learned to write with utter chaos erupting around me. I have kids after all. ;)
 
-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it? My middle grade manuscripts were inspired by my kids and my little sister (she's twelve). They really are my best inspiration. (Though Gus may have had some influence on The Rabbit Ate My Homework!)
 
-What's your most valuable writing tip? Join a critique group, either online or in person. Getting and receiving critiques is the quickest way to improve the quality of your writing and prepare you for the realities of publishing.

22 comments:

  1. English Breakfast Tea! I love it!
    Kids are awesome for inspiration, aren't they?
    Nice to meet you. Let's hope we all find agents soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! I can't live without my cuppa every morning! :)

      I honestly would not be writing MG if it wasn't for my kids. They really are my inspiration!

      Delete
  2. What a cute bunny! Awww

    And yes, critique groups are invaluable! Great advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelley! I think he's awfully cute, too. Of course, I'm awfully biassed. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love that you have a bunny! I'd love to have some rabbits someday, preferably a Flemish Giant or Checkered Giant. I'm very passionate about spreading the word every Easter that rabbits are complex pets and not just throwaway pets for young kids for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me, too! Most people have no clue rabbits can live 10+ years, be litter trained, and live in the house much like a cat (albeit a vegan cat! ;) ). Big bunnies are the best! (Gus is a New Zealand cross--so a medium-large size!) More to cuddle. :)

      Delete
  4. You may be jealous of my day job, but I'm in love with your lawn mower :)

    I'm so glad I had an excuse for discovering your blog--though I don't know what took me so long.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought when I read your blog! :)

      Gus is too good a lawn mower. If we forget to move his pen around, he'll trim the grass to its roots! (And he's only outside for a few hours in the afternoon/evening!)

      Delete
  5. Hi Rachel! I love that photo of Gus mowing the lawn. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaye! :) I should probably post some more pics of Gus. He seems to be very popular! :)

      Delete
  6. There are a lot of people with ties to Vancouver Island participating in this bloghop! I live in Nanaimo, so I bet if we tried really hard we could wave to each other across the strait. Maybe. :) Good luck with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannette! I'm waving right now, can you see me? ;)

      Delete
  7. Your bunny is very cute. My two Jack Russell terriers and whippet would absolutely love to have a rabbit join the family. For all the wrong reasons. I think Vancouver looks awesome. I live all the way on the other side of the continent (Maine). Hellooooo...could you hear me? Pop over and say hi on my blog.
    http://rhiannwynnnolet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, Jack Russell's definitely have a reputation, don't they? I'll check out your blog right now! Thanks for stopping by Rhiann! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love those time when the words come and fingers are flying over the keyboard.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2012/09/deana-barnharts-gearing-up-to-get-agent.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mia! Just wish one of those times was tonight. :P

      Delete
  9. I think my favorite question is when people write... I'm such a late night kind of girl I just assume everyone else is as well... but when I read your M&G, I think, "How romantic would it be to sit on the back deck with a cup of tea and write for hours, the early morning sun drying off the dew tipped blades of grass." Of course, it's then that I remember the early morning sun and I don't get along well!

    Great to meet you on GUTGAA, and I look forward to reading more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a morning person either, but with two kids, I've had to learn to be one! Still, my brain is pretty much glue before 10 a.m. Early morning writing is out of the question! ;)

      Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! :)

      Delete
  10. I'm a bit late with my GUGAA blog-hopping but nice to meet you anyway - and I love your book titles!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. I stopped by for the Pitch Post, but you don't have your entry up yet, so I'll have to come back. I have to say, I love your book Titles. My favorite one is: Evil Teddy Bears are Plotting to Take over the World. haha. That is awesome!

    It must be cool to read so many genre's. I pretty much stick with YA, but I've seen so many great pitch's for other stuff on GUTGAA that I'm thinking about getting out of my comfort zone more often.

    Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I'd love it if you'd swing by my blog. I just started it last Wed. I got inspired by all the great blogs on GUTGAA. :) Hope I see you over there and good luck with GUTGAA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara,

      I dunno how it'll ever fit on a book cover, but it's my favourite of my titles, too. ;)

      MG is still my favourite genre, but there are so many great books in the world, I figure why limit yourself?

      Got my Pitch Post up now. I'll be hopping over to check yours out soon! :)

      Welcome to the world of blogging!

      Delete